Re: hibernation support on the desktop

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-04-22 at 15:28 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Well this came up in #fedora-qa right after blocker review and
>> someone, maybe mcclasen (?), showed a screen shot where there was
>> definitely hibernation in the Power panel under Suspend & Power Off
>
> Yeah, that's the "except" here:
>
> On Fri, 2016-04-22 at 15:24 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>>  We do not even expose it except as the
>> action
>> to perform on critical battery.

OH I missed that somehow. OK I'm looking at this on Fedora 23 and
Suspend & Power Off is set to Automatic suspend Off, there is nothing
else. I do have sufficient swap, and 'systemctl hibernate' does
hibernate the system, and does produce a hibernation file. So I don't
follow why some machines have this exposed hibernation option. But in
any case if it's exposed at all by even some machines by default
rather than proscribed across the board, I'd say the desktop
environment is saying it supports hibernation on that configuration
and it should work. But it can't work if resume= isn't a boot
parameter.

Where I'm lost is, the disconnect between "we do not support
hibernation in Fedora Workstation" but then there's this exception for
action to perform on critical battery. So it is supported in the case
of critical battery.

I'm really terribly biased toward if you offer something in a GUI, it
should work. If it doesn't work it's a bug, fix the bug or remove the
UI access to it.

> The only way to hibernate is to use the command line (unsupported) or
> let your battery drain to critical. And if you have no remaining
> battery, I would expect data loss anyway, as hibernate fails more often
> than not in my experience... and that's if I'm lucky and the computer
> does not power off during the attempt to hibernate....
>
> Running out of power is an edge case, and it's never worked reliably
> anyway.

It is an edge case based on what data? Every traveling user I know
routinely runs into this "edge case" and it's just short of completely
reliable on Windows and OS X.

If it can't be made almost completely reliable, fine, proscribe it
from the GUI in every case. I don't see the logic at all in offering
it in exception cases where current configuration guarantees it will
silently fail resulting in data loss. I see no positive to this
situation.

--
Chris Murphy