Re: More test coverage for Boxes

On 04/14/2016 07:54 AM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Hi,
> Boxes is the pre-installed solution for VMs on Workstation, but it
> doesn't get as much attention as it should.
> Currently development composes of F24 don't even work in Boxes on F23,
> so users who'd like to test F24 in the default VM app are out of luck.
> It clearly violates one of the release criteria:https://fedoraproject.o
> rg/wiki/Fedora_24_Beta_Release_Criteria#Guest_on_current_stable_release

More test coverage is good, but the larger problem may be that gnome-boxes
lacks some fedora dev love; The bug tracker is filled with dupes, the last f22
build was in july, last f23 build was in october

> The problem is that even though Boxes is the default VM app in
> Workstation it's not among recommended Fedora virtualization tools the
> criteria is referring to: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_starte
> d_with_virtualization
> Fedora QA also use solely virt-manager and they only test Boxes from
> time to time to make sure the basic functionality works.

The more complete picture AFAIK is that virt-manager is part of the workflow
for some fedora QA people, while gnome boxes is something that they (maybe)
test. virt-manager/virt-install have at least one feature that boxes lacks
that I know QA use often, and that's installing directly from a URL tree by
pulling down kernel/initrd. Saves having to fetch an iso for quick tests

> Boxes have been here for some time, it's our default solution, we
> should make sure it's the best working desktop VM on Fedora and work
> with Fedora QA on ways to improve the test coverage. I think we should
> start with adding Boxes to recommended virt tools. Does anyone have an
> idea if it needs to go through some committee or is it just "go ahead
> and edit" wiki page?

No oversight needed, edit the page as you see fit. The virt wiki docs are in a
pretty sorry state, I've been meaning to clean them up for a long time

- Cole