Re: coredumpctl integration for F25

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 03:49:09PM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently we have coredumpctl installed by default, but it doesn't work
> because core dumps are consumed by ABRT instead. I'd like to get
> coredumpctl working out-of-the-box. We can do this by changing our
> systemd presets [1] to disable abrt-ccpp.service.
>
> ABRT will continue to function thanks to the ABRT developers' work on
> coredumpctl integration via abrt-vmcore.service. There is a somewhat-
> reduced feature set, but I've been running this for several months
> happily and I haven't noticed any issues; my crashes are being reported
> to FAF, and I can manually report to Bugzilla. See [2] for details.
+1 to integrating abrt to use coredump as a "backend".

> This might be slightly controversial for two reasons. First, the big
> change here is that core dumps will appear in the magical and super-
> awesome coredumpctl tool in addition to ABRT, but would no longer be
> created in the cwd when ulimit is set appropriately (we would need to
> feature that in the release notes).
I don't think that's a problem in practice. For most people coredumps
are annoying, and use up disk space unless you remember to clean them
up. And coredumps stored by systemd-coredump are still easily accessible
(although they might be compressed, but this can be easily turned off
it desired).

Having the coredumps go through systemd-coredump gives us a robust
and convenient way to gather coredumps, also during boot.

> This aligns us with upstream
> systemd behavior, but diverges from Debian and Ubuntu, which still
> create the old-style coredumps in the cwd. Second, my understanding is
> that the ABRT developers prefer to improve abrt-cli and tell people to
> use that rather than coredumpctl. But as coredumpctl is very mature
> (nicer) and cross-distro so it gets many more contributors, I
> definitely prefer to instruct people to use coredumpctl instead for
> C/C++ crashes.
>
> We could totally do this change for F24 as well as it should be just a
> one-line change, but in the spirit of beta freeze I figure it's
> probably best left for F25.

Zbyszek