Re: ostree-based workstation variant as F25 change?

On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 16:42 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-03-16 at 16:58 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2016-03-15 at 14:11 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > >
> > We basically need:
> >
> >  * A central registry for xdg-app repositories
> Central as in a webpage with a table, or central as in something that
> xdg-app is aware of and automatically uses?

I mean specifically whatever determines what applications show up in
GNOME Software. Whether that is supported in the xdg-app core or
something that is layered over the top, whether it's a web service or a
config file in an RPM - we need to figure that out.

[...]

> > Fonts - I don't know at the moment. It may just be a question of
> > making all the fonts in /usr/share/fonts and ~/.fonts pass through
> > to the application, though that would isolate users from being able
> > to take advantage of additional fonts packaged for Fedora.
> In fact, xdg-app already does this as /run/host/fonts and
> /run/hosts/user-fonts. All you need to do is set up the right config
> for fontconfig in the runtime (and the gnome/fd.o runtimes already do
> this).
>
> That is not solving the issue though, because how can you unstall
> into /usr/share/fonts if its a readonly ostree tree?

It solves the problem if you are willing to define font installation as
a per-user thing. We could have a /var/lib/fonts for system-wide
installation and just say that you install fonts by dropping them
there.

You won't share fontconfig caches between users or even between apps,
but that's already an issue with /usr/share/fonts as you are mounting
them.

- Owen