Re: Another round of default app discussion

On Mon, 2016-03-14 at 11:04 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-03-14 at 15:51 +0000, Richard Turner wrote:
> >
> > Back end isn't the issue, it's bad UX have two apps do the same
> > thing.
> I agree, but we've already crossed that bridge with Contacts, which
> we've had forever, and Notes, which we are admittedly dropping for
> now.
>
> We really need someone to get the ball rolling on GNOME Mail, the
> only
> part of Evolution we haven't replaced yet. Unfortunately, that's a
> huge
> project.

I think that's a somewhat misleading statement. Whether gnome-calendar
or gnome-contacts 'replace' the corresponding components in evolution
really depends on your use case.

And whether 3 or more freestanding applications can ever fully replace
the tightly coupled components of such a 'groupware' UI is not clear to
me.

Anyway, as you say: there is no freestanding GNOME mail client
available for us to ship anyway. Geary is dead and pantheon mail is
just doing small amounts of window dressing on the geary code base.