Re: Case against Firefox in FESCo

Technically speaking you can modify it and still call it Firefox with
Mozilla authorization. The reason why the Firefox name and icon are
not free to use is to protect the reputation of the browser and be
able to sue abusers. Practical example: Firefox is open source, I
include a malware in it, compile and ship it from my website calling
it Firefox, including the source code (to comply with the license).
Sure enough sooner or later my fraud would come to the light, but I
surely did some damage in the mean time and ruined Mozilla's
reputation. If I call it IceWeasel, to avoid being sued because of
using the Firefox name and icon without Mozilla's authorization, and
put a different icon it's a lot harder for a malicious attacker to
trick the user to install it. This applies more to platforms where
there is no package manager and the user has to actively search for
software on the internet. Heck even on Linux it took so long to get my
father into the idea he can do everything with the package manager.

That being said if you take away the name and the logo it's just a
matter of time before some Fedora user is going to fall into the trap,
so keeping the branding has some advantage.

On the other side: Fedora is already shipping a binary different from
what Mozilla is shipping. It's many months Fedora enables gtk3 and, as
far as I know, Red Hat is helping Mozilla in this since this is needed
for Wayland (btw thank you, loving gtk3 Firefox). In Firefox 41
release Fedora disabled OMTC since compiling with system cairo breaks
it (then switched to bundled cairo in 42 to ultimately solve the
issue, this is very distro independent, I have the same problem in
gentoo). Mozilla didn't sued Red Hat for this. The addon signing thing
would be a slightly different matter I guess, but I'm sure (and hope)
some sort of mediation is possible.