Re: Case against Firefox in FESCo

On Thu, 2016-01-07 at 08:38 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> With respect, "Web" is lacking many features that a workstation user
> would rely on. It's not ready to be a default browser for Fedora
> IMHO.

Hi,

Do you have any specific feature requests? I'm planning bookmark sync
support, but other than that I think we're largely feature-complete.

> I was just running it now to try to get a list of some of its missing
> features, such as a JavaScript debugging console,

Right click -> Inspect Element -> Debugger, it's the same one that's in
every WebKit browser.

But this is a very advanced feature. If you're digging around into the
JavaScript debugger, you're more than capable of installing Firefox or
Chrome or whatever browser you prefer to work with.

>  but it quite
> literally was crashing on almost any operation except clicking on a
> URL link. This is a Wayland Workstation on Rawhide.
>
> So yeah, really not feeling that this is ready.

Can you please file a bug report, or give me a link if you have and I
missed it? It works great in Fedora 23. In my GNOME jhbuild environment
there are some serious drawing failures due to a bug in GTK+ 3.19,
which a GTK+ developer is investigating, but I'm not aware of any
issues that could cause frequent crashes.

Wayland support is mostly complete. We are missing accelerated
compositing (affects performance on low-end hardware) and clipboard
support (copy/paste, that's a big problem) when running under Wayland.
Both are about half-completed, but I cannot say when they will land.

Michael