Re: Our sandboxed apps won't really protect users (was: Re: Darktable Copr)

Hi,

On Fri, 2015-09-11 at 18:25 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> People would prefer to develop against a stable runtime that will
> work
> anywhere because it's less work than developing for moving targets of
> many
> distributions which change too often. The sandbox would be a "side
> effect"
> from them, and it will protect the users from misbehaving apps and
> some
> security flaws.

But this only applies to non-malicious apps. You're right that if xdg
-app makes distributing software easier to a greater degree than the
sandbox makes it harder, it will be used by non-malicious developers,
which will definitely improve our security overall. Which is a big
benefit, so I was wrong and the sandbox is worth it, regardless of
whether it protects against malicious apps or not. (But it still does
zero good against malicious third-party apps.)

Michael