Re: The “Windows Just Works” BIG fallacy

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Diogo Campos (gmail)
<diogocamposwd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi. Yes, again.
> [....]
>
> # Codecs = MP3, AAC, H.264, H.265, Vorbis, Opus, VP8, VP9.
>

> Windows: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, No, No, No.
>
> Fedora: No, No, No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes,Yes.
>

> Conclusion: analyzing the 8 (4 audio, 4 video) current big codecs on the
> market, we have a tie! Is also worth noting that installing additional
> codecs on Windows is of a equivalent pain that on Fedora.

Those codecs do not have an equal market share.

> # Office Stuff = xls(x), doc(x), ppt(x), ods, odt, odp.
>

> Windows: No, No, No, No, No, No.
>
> Fedora: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.
>

> Conclusion: in (Microsoft) Windows, even to open files from another
> Microsoft product (Office), you can't without additional work from you (or
> someone else).

Well you can open doc/x files using Wordpad. But given that most OEMs
ship some version of Office that's a moot point.

> # Miscellaneous = PDF, torrent, common archives.
>

> Windows: No(!), No, No.
>
> Fedora: Yes, Yes(?), Yes (except RAR, for no reason).

Where is the free RAR implementation? (That's probably the only reason)

And btw. I don't think installing a torrent client by default makes any sense.

As for PDF that's true but OEMs tend to include something.

> # Graphic Cards = Intel, AMD, Nvidia.
>

> Windows: No, No, No.

-> Wrong; Wrong; Wrong

> Fedora: Yes, Yes, Yes.
>

> Conclusion: Oh, boy! Windows without video drivers is pure garbage! You have
> to, at minimum, select to install the driver on Windows Update to have 2D
> (and 3D) acceleration! Sometimes even to have the correct resolution! On
> other hand, Fedora comes with all these preinstalled! Yay!

The days of Windows XP are over. This has been much better i.e "just
works" since Vista.

So you might not like it but it "works better" out of the box for most people.

"Oh windows is bad" doesn't really help us  ... "Windows does X and Y
better" OTOH does because it allows us to improve.