Re: Why people are not switching to Fedora

I agree with most of what you wrote, but:

On Tue, 2015-05-12 at 00:14 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Workstation_PRD
> Fedora Workstation aims to create the best-in-class operation system
> for developers. That's what it is about.

I see: "We want to create a stable, integrated, polished and user
friendly system that can appeal to a wide general audience." That's
priority #1 as far as I'm concerned.

Next I see: "The Fedora Workstation working group will have a special
focus on providing a platform for development of various types of
applications." We all agree this is an important goal as well, but we
need to be careful not to phrase it as our exclusive goal. A few weeks
ago we had a quote from a user who didn't bother to try Workstation
because it was "for developers;" we have to do better to avoid
creating that impression.

I think we're mostly all on the same page about this at this point
(what's good for general users is good for developers too); we just
need to be careful about out messaging.

> after all, we are asking "why people
> aren't switching from Mac or Windows" and not "Why aren't people
> switching from Ubuntu".

Frankly, I'm asking the later question. We can't really compete with
Mac or Windows because we can't run Mac or Windows apps. We can
compete just fine with Ubuntu. I don't see why we shouldn't aim to
make Fedora Workstation the #1 GNU/Linux distribution.

> gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld is LGPLv2+. This falls under the
> definition of FOSS. Please don't confuse software patents and
> closed-source software. They are two very different things.

Note: all of GStreamer is LGPLv2+

> For example, including 3rd party repository definitions is still an
> option - if I recall correctly the only reason it was veto'd is
> philosophical, not legal.

We can do this for nonfree software with Council approval (which I do
not expect we will ever get), but we cannot include any repositories
that contain codecs that infringe US patents.

My thoughts:

The two important codecs are MP3 and H264: everything else is
secondary. MP3 expires prior to F23, so we can just include the
upstream GStreamer codec with no problem. On IRC today Christian
mentioned he is working with Cisco to use their FOSS H264 codec. I
suspect (correct me if I'm wrong) that users will have to agree to a
restrictive EULA prohibiting commercial use to use a licensed Cisco
binary, but that's probably the only option we have for the forseeable
future. It's FOSS, so we're not compromising on FOSS principles. It is
a defeat for media freedom, but we already lost this battle a long
time ago.