Re: Why people are not switching to Fedora

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Christian Schaller <cschalle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I didn't think the request for comments would leave us with the blueprint for
> creating the ultimate Linux distribution, and to some degree taking users from
> other distributions is a secondary concern. But I did feel the request could help
> us identify some pain points that if addressed could make us a more likely choice
> not just for users of other distributions, but also for Mac and Windows users.

I've never used a Mac so I can't help you there, but I can give you a
long list of pain points for Windows. Honestly, the only reason I'd
install Windows on a new machine would be if I had to use the full
desktop version of Office. Nothing else works as well - not Google
Docs, not Libre/Open Office, not even Office 365 or Office on a Mac or
an iPad. If you need *Office*, you need it exactly and nothing else
will do.

On my laptop (64-bit Intel i5 with 8 GB of RAM, Windows 8.1 / Fedora
22) when it's booted in Windows it takes *minutes* for it to come up
and be ready for work. In Fedora, it's less than a minute. The disk
thrashing on Windows (probably NTFS being super-careful not to lose
any data) is painful in the extreme.

Then there's the mixed-metaphor desktop / tablet / mouse / touchscreen
fiasco. And the "apps" for news, sports, weather, etc. that distract
me from my work. And then there's the cumbersome installers for
open-source pacakges like R, RStudio, PostgreSQL, MSysGit and OSGeo4W.
I used to distribute a Windows-installer-based equivalent of my Fedora
remix. It takes *hours* to install and requires the user to accept the
defaults in *dozens* of screens. I've replaced that mess with an
install of Boot2Docker and a "docker pull". ;-)