Re: Webapps for developers

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think there is a little confusion on the definition of "Web App" in the context of this thread. We are *not* talking about, say installing Wordpress from the fedora repos so you can set up a wordpress instance on your machine. Web apps in this context means that you could install a package for "github" on your desktop, so it provides you a menu entry in GNOME Shell, and when opened it provides a stripped down web browser that just opens github.com. An added benefit of doing it this way is that it behaves as a "application" in the workstation, so you can alt-tab between other windows and "github".

In particular, the web app has no tabs, and if you try to open a tab it will open a full browser instead. Web apps aren't suitable for arbitrary sites like GitHub or Stack Exchange where you are probably going to want to open multiple tabs at once. They work well for sites that actually behave more like applications: I use one for Duolingo, for example, but they'd also work for Facebook, Google+, Gmail, Grooveshark....