Re: Webapps for developers

On 01/23/2015 02:18 PM, Peter Laursen wrote:
I think focus for Fedora Desktop is sliding when this talk about " .. for developers" comes up. Developers can figure out themselves how to install whatever of that kind (with or without RPM packages) . I thought focus of Fedora Desktop was "for ordinary computer users" and not "for developers" primarily.

What does *DESKTOP* mean? It is the one sitting 40 centimeters from your nose, simply. Media, codecs, social networking apps etc. is what it is about. Forget about "webapps" in a "Desktop" edition (as a default install at least).

-- P eter

I think there is a little confusion on the definition of "Web App" in the context of this thread. We are *not* talking about, say installing Wordpress from the fedora repos so you can set up a wordpress instance on your machine. Web apps in this context means that you could install a package for "github" on your desktop, so it provides you a menu entry in GNOME Shell, and when opened it provides a stripped down web browser that just opens github.com. An added benefit of doing it this way is that it behaves as a "application" in the workstation, so you can alt-tab between other windows and "github".

cheers,
ryanlerch