Re: Adding xorg-x11-drv-libinput to the Desktop's set of default packages

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:15:34PM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Christian Schaller wrote:
>
> >> It may be better to just tell people to do "rpm -e xorg-x11-drv-libinput"
> >> if they started with the Workstation product and want to use
> >> kcm_touchpad, AFAIK kcm_touchpad will register itself with the KDE
> >> control-panel if the synaptics driver is loaded, so if we end up using
> >> libinput kcm_touchpad will simple not show, rather then break.
> >>
> >> So opinions on this anyone ?
> >
> > I prefer this one, as per the policy mentioned above this way at least
> > people make an active choice to 'mess up' their system as opposed to
> > packages being installed doing it 'silently'.
>
> That option still kinda sucks.  kcm_touchpad would essentially be broken,
> until some other package is removed (if I'm understanding this right).
>
> I suppose adding a
> Conflicts: xorg-x11-drv-libinput
> to kcm-touchpad isn't a viable option either.
>
> On the other hand, if this cannot be toggled at install/runtime somehow, the
> original suggestion may be the least bad option.

I had a look at the kcm_touchpad code and it's not that complicated to make
it support both drivers. Current tree with a couple of things converted is here
https://github.com/whot/kcm_touchpad/tree/wip/libinput-support

So making something that provides the basic config toggles to enable
tapping, scrolling and natural scrolling isn't that hard. The main problem
with kcm_touchpad is that it's essentially a graphical mirror to almost all
synaptics config options. With libinput there are a lot less toggles, so
most of that UI is now greyed out (or not, which is buggy).

I contacted the maintainers, but I think fixing this in time may be viable,
so we don't have to worry about hacks to partially disable it.

Question becomes: are we willing to ship this as a Fedora patch if need be?

Cheers,
   Peter