Re: Make Yumex Default Package Manager

On 11/06/2014 09:11 PM, Liam wrote:
I understand all of that, but I also don't like the fact that Software
is giving me an abridged view of the repos.

If I'm genuinely searching for a tool, I won't know ahead of time
whether it only provides a CLI, or a GUI. Given that I just want the
best tool I want to know what tools are available and Software simply
doesn't work in that case. What's more, the original assumption given
for the split seems odd given the genuine issues that Software is
causing. I'm simply unsure why it is so important that the assumption
must hold. As a result of that assumption the facts on the ground are
that users have to go through mental gymnastics if they both want to
install something and continue to use Software rather than just always
use the CLI. Given such a situation it appears that users would
gradually just stop using Software. Especially our target group who
aren't afraid of the terminal.

I'm not trying to be difficult with this as I want Fedora to succeed,
I'm just not seeing the benefits of the assumption, especially (once
again!), given our target user base.

I have also often found myself in this position where I am not sure if I will be able to find something in Software. I tend to not use it for anything but discovery of new GUI applications because it does not give me a full picture of the ecosystem of packages around the application, and for example, whether I might want to install some related packages that enable some extended functionality but don't show up in Software. I would like it if there were an easily accessible toggle switch to show or hide libraries and CLI applications in searches. To me this seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Cheers,

Zach