Re: Goals for Fedora Workstation upgrades

On 10/05/2014 01:55 AM, drago01 wrote:
On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Adam Batkin <adam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]
An argument could be made that certain system-level things may need to
change, especially if the old one is going to be abandoned (like moving boot
loaders or init systems) but even then, I always read the release notes, so
as long as it is clearly noted and the user is given an upgrade path ("to
switch to the new default X subsystem, uninstall Y and install Z and run
this configuration migration script").

The point of the an upgrade is that it is an automated process. Asking
the user to do "x and y" afterwards is not really an option.
It's pushing the burden to the user.

That's the argument for automatically upgrading "certain system-level things". My point is that an upgrade shouldn't touch anything at the application level. Don't touch text editors, web browsers, e-mail clients, compilers, scripting languages, etc... The only exception being if it's a requirement for something else in the platform (i.e. you didn't have ruby installed before, but it's a requirement for some system level script, so now it will be installed).

-Adam Batkin