Re: Goals for Fedora Workstation upgrades

On 10/03/2014 09:10 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 08:58:30PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
Um... except the cases where the new application keeps it's own
directory of caches and such.  Think of evolution vs. thunderbird.
I'd be really upset if an upgrade resulted in me going to start my
email and having to either a) redownload all the headers and messages
into a new cache or b) dig around for an app in the software center
that I was perfectly happy using.

The example Owen gave was a character picker. Maybe there's a distinction
to be made between apps which keep data and (meaningful) preferences, and
ones that are just little utilities?

As a long time Red Hat/Fedora user, my expectation is that an upgrade will bring in newer versions of things (and any of their dependencies that are *required* for their operation) but otherwise leave my system alone. Remember, my system already works the way I want. Please don't break that.

An argument could be made that certain system-level things may need to change, especially if the old one is going to be abandoned (like moving boot loaders or init systems) but even then, I always read the release notes, so as long as it is clearly noted and the user is given an upgrade path ("to switch to the new default X subsystem, uninstall Y and install Z and run this configuration migration script").

-Adam Batkin