Re: Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

On 10/02/2014 01:39 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
I would even go so far as to suggest that a "Fedora Help" icon of some sort
is worth putting into the incredibly valuable space as a top-level icon on
the top bar, because getting help is something that should be as little
effort as possible.

I think that in terms of real estate, that may be a little too prime. I'd like to leave that decision to the designers who are more involved in the shell to weigh in on the exact real estate placement.

However, if the user needs something related to the system, I do believe they are going to go to the system menu in the upper right. I just don't think a screwdriver/wrench icon is going to map to "help" in a lot of folks' minds. So that seems like a reasonable suggestion in my eyes although again, I'm not fully cognizant of all the design issues / future plans / tradeoffs in the shell itself.

(I suppose this could be done as a Fedora Help shell extension?)

See extension is a cop-out to me, because the very users who need this the most are the type of users who don't install extensions...

~m