Re: Do we really need LibreOffice installed by default?

On 09/12/2014 06:06 AM, Elad Alfassa wrote:
Hello all.

If we don't install libreoffice by default we'd save around ~500MB (of
libreoffice itself and it's various java dependencies) from the live
media.
This means less strain on mirrors, and that people will get their
media faster (even if you have a really fast connection - smaller
downloads finish sooner).

Also, since we have an application installer these days, people who
need an office suite can easily install it.

The ease of finding and installing an office suite when there isn't one installed by default would be something that would make a great user test scenario before yanking libreoffice.

Both the scenarios of opening an exisiting file, and trying to create a document -- some of the things to consider could be: * what people search for -- (do all users use "Word Processor", or just "Word") * if they search for a word processor in Software, does LO show up as a "best bet" or do other applications like abiword or calligra show up? -- a default here may help the user because they are getting the software that may be considered "the best"

cheers,
ryanlerch