Re: F21 Workstation System Requirements - Storage

On Sep 5, 2014, at 6:15 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

I haven't found any UI related to hibernation, but it's likely something that can be leveraged with kickstart. Since anaconda uses blivet to setup storage at the backend, by default it produces swap partitions per this:

    if mem < two_GiB:
        swap = 2 * mem
    elif two_GiB <= mem < eight_GiB:
        swap = mem
    elif eight_GiB <= mem < sixtyfour_GiB:
        swap = mem / 2
    else:
        swap = four_GiB

>> so we get 1x which sometimes isn't enough. Further,
>> anaconda doesn't set resume= boot parameter. So we're not currently
>> configured to support suspend to disk as far as I can tell.
>
> Got a link to where swapSuggestion() is called from?

https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/anaconda.git/tree/pyanaconda/ui/gui/spokes/storage.py?h=f21-branch
line:784

blivet/blivet/devicelibs/swap.py
line:121

And 'grep -nr resume= anaconda/' on anaconda.git f21-branch returns nothing, and my understanding is resume= boot parameter is required for suspend to disk. Perhaps that's a pre-systemd requirement.

We can't say everyone's totally given up on this, there are related patches still going into e.g. systemd as recently as 11 days ago:
https://www.mail-archive.com/systemd-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg22311.html

> Unless this changed recently
> (during the F21 release cycle), this wasn't the experience of my last install.

No it goes back to at least F18 which is before blivet, but the equivalent file is pyanaconda/storage/devicelibs/swap.py and it has the same outcome. Anything with 2-8GB gets 1x without hibernation, and 2x with it enabled. And the only way I was able to figure out how to enable it was to hand edit swap.py, when I did that and ran the GUI installer, sure enough I get 2x RAM for swap.

Chris Murphy