Re: Image viewer applications

On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 19:47 +0200, Tadej Janež wrote:
> I've used Shotwell quite extensively and don't understand why you are
> advocating so strongly against it being the default photo *management*
> application?

Because gthumb is a photo management application as well, which fulfills
the same role as Shotwell but with a dramatically better user interface.
I know Shotwell will be getting a much-needed redesign soon, but it will
be for the Elementary HIG, not GNOME's.

It doesn't help Shotwell's case that it doesn't seem to work at all in
F21 -- I can't seem to import any photos -- but this is probably a bug
that will be fixed. Hopefully.

> I understand the point that Shotwell Previewer isn't really suited for
> being the default image viewer. But as a photo management application,
> Shotwell has some nice features:
> - non-destructive photo editing (it doesn't touch your original
> photos,
> edits are stored in a database and applied on the fly)

Point for Shotwell. :(  gthumb does have "Save As" though. :p

> - simple adjusting of the time and date of multiple photos at once

gthumb can do this. Looks like it can also bulk rotate and resize, bulk
convert to another file format, or run an arbitrary script over the
files.

> - automatic grouping of photos into events based on the time taken

I think gthumb does not do this.

> - organizing photos by events, tags or via the file system hierarchy

Same with gthumb, though it uses the term "catalog" instead of "event."

Hope that helps,

Michael