Re: Developer focus for Fedora workstation

On Aug 19, 2014, at 2:41 AM, Christian Schaller <cschalle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While we can make our Mac hardware story better, we need to keep in mind that
> Apple is a pretty hostile company here in terms of running alternative operating
> systems. There is absolutely no information from them on their hardware, so we are
> often left with having to reverse engineer to fix bugs, which is slow and time consuming.
>
> My goal here instead is for us to work with more friendly hardware makers to ensure that
> their hardware work well, so that we can provide Fedora users with a recommendation,
> i.e. if you want things to work perfectly out of the box get a laptop from vendor X of
> series Y.
>
> This doesn't mean we shouldn't try to work as well as we can with as much hardware as possible,
> but realistically we are not in a position to guarantee more than a select set of series.

It's reasonable for Fedora development, and users, to narrow the scope for supported hardware. Users don't want to buy or travel with a 2nd laptop just to run Fedora. This is why I suggested the particular alternatives I suggested.

At least, Virtual Box should be an explicitly targeted and supported platform to run Fedora on (as a guest). Despite its drawbacks, it must be easier to target than hundreds of models, let alone highly closed and quirky hardware like Macs.

Chris Murphy