Re: Another workstation question: Anaconda user creation

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This will probably require coordination with the Anaconda folks, as
their first-boot environment will check whether the user or root was
created during installation and prompt for it there if not. I'm not
certain which will occur first, Anaconda's first-boot or GNOME's, but
that will need to be worked out together.

I don't think we should hide the root user creation from there, only the normal user creation.

The root user creation is useful for recovery in case everything goes wrong, and as such I think we should label it as Recovery (root) Password or something similar, and have a little explanation text about what it is, so that users won't just write some gibberish there and dismiss it but understand that it's like a "master key" for their computer and  they should remember it or write it down in a safe place in case they need it for error recovery.

Alternatively (since root might be a concept too complicated to explain) we could skip root user creation too and coordinate it with the Anaconda people so for Workstation this user will be passwordless and inaccessible by default (users created by gnome's initial-setup have sudo rights anyway). Can we do that, or is it something we'd need FESCO / Base WG / Someone else approval for?

--
-Elad Alfassa.