Re: Developer focus for Fedora workstation

What would it take for your friends who are developers to move over from
a non-free Operating System to Fedora, apart from window management
behaviour?
- Andreas

Thanks Andreas - well said, and the right question to ask.

On the other hand, it often is "death by thousand cuts" situation. A lot
of Mac users would tell you that the reason why they use OS X are all
the tiny details that make it more friendly to them. Many of them don't
even have a significant concrete reason why they use it, except it's
easier and more convenient to use. So little details in UI do matter.
But I agree if there are big gaps to fill we should focus on them.

I personally think this is the right line of questioning. But people have been asking this for years. The thing is, now that there is a Fedora "Workstation" focus (i.e. devs, people who are theoretically very comfortable with Linux since everyone deploys to Linux) the question becomes a lot more interesting.

I have a Mac laptop and a Fedora desktop, so I have spent a fair amount of time on both. I find developing on Linux to be much more enjoyable. I would always chose Linux over Mac, except that the Linux laptop experience isn't quite there (I'm being polite). For example, as I mentioned, I can see a lot more on my Mac screen running OS X than Linux, because there is less use of gratuitous white space (sure, some apps have white space, but the OS/theme as a whole is pretty tight - look at the menubar, titlebars, window borders for example). Although I disagree with some Mac design and User Interaction choices, at least there the interface is consistent and follows its own rules. And I won't get started with wireless (which definitely gets better every day), power and thermal management and connecting/disconnecting external displays/projectors.

So why did all of my friends actively switch from Linux to Mac (admittedly, about 10 years ago)? As Alex suggested, I think that's something that needs some research. I would be up for working on that.

But here's the thing: All of the developer tool innovation going on is great, but that's not why people pick Mac over Linux. Mac users have hacked clones of the Linux package managers (MacPorts, Fink, Homebrew), they use Docker via VirtualBox VMs of actual Linux systems, and pretty much everyone ends up deploying to Linux anyway. There may be cool whiz bang developer oriented tools for OS X, but that's because that's where the developers are (i.e. reality/market forces) not because they can't easily build those same tools for Linux. Heck, look at the Atom text editor that GitHub is building - pretty much all of its component parts were originally built *FOR* Linux, and it can *theoretically* be built for Linux, but GitHub doesn't even bother linking to Linux binaries because...well whatever (but of course you can get both Mac and Windows binaries). So there's a case where a developer tool should be available on Linux with a trivial amount of work, and yet its developer still doesn't care.

My theory is that people went Mac for two reasons:
1) Laptop hardware/software Just Works. Maybe Linux on the desktop was difficult back then in the stone age, but everything is fine now. But really, much of the world (even devs) went to laptops. 2) Mac UI/UX Just Works. Even though plenty of people don't agree with Apple's choices, it still works and you know/learn the rules, so it's consistent.

Maybe things like the iTunes Music Store and iPod sync were important, but less so these days (except iOS devs which will always be a problem with any alternate OS). It also helps that if your Mac breaks, you bring it to an Apple store, plop it on the table, wander around the mall for an hour, and come back to a working computer (I'm simplifying, but you get the idea) - and there's no arguing with an incompetent OEM about why some leenuxy thing shouldn't void your warranty and isn't the cause of the scratching sound coming from the hard drive.

So if I had infinite resources, here's probably would I would want to do:
* Try to figure out why people went Mac, and what would bring them back (easy peasy, right?) * Make Fedora Workstation work great on laptops. Maybe pick a few specific models and work with an OEM (even if the OEM won't support or sell it, maybe Red Hat has some contacts that can just ensure that we know what the BIOS is doing and what hardware can be expected in a certain model) * Make the UI/UX consistent, clear, intuitive (this is where I think we lose from "death by 1000 cuts" - it's not bad, it's just not...quite there)

-Adam Batkin