Re: Package List Discussion

On 05/29/2014 12:27 PM, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx
>

>     I see libvirt (and anaconda for iSCSI) requires these and it's
>     unfortunate. All you're missing is dhcpd/bind and the WS product is
>     basically the Server product.
>
>     Is virtualization important to have in the base product package list? Not
>     every developer uses the same virt software. Virt software is more of an
>     "add-on" in that the WS product's goal of being a foundation for building
>     Fedora/Linux applications isn't met by including libvirt by default. Yes,
>     it's nice to test applications and yes, I use visualization myself (not
>     libvirt), but my concern still stands. Perhaps this could be handled by
>     the developer assistant.
>

> Personally I think having virtualization that works out-of-the-box is an
> excellent selling point and we should keep gnome-boxes (and libvirt) by default.
> I'm not sure why it needs iscsi tho.

Libvirt has support for connecting to all sorts of various storage setups,
however the functionality is optional and not used by the majority of virt
users in fedora. It's possible libvirt could split out the storage drivers
into individual modules/rpms like it does for hypervisor drivers, and then
boxes etc. could depend on a small subset. But it would require non trivial
upstream libvirt work to get there.

- Cole