Re: gedit-code-assistance by default in Workstation

On Thu, 2014-05-08 at 00:32 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 11:47 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         Should we add those to comps, or to the workstation kickstart?
>

> Probably kickstart...
>
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-workstation-packages.ks
>

> Seems that it pulls the gnome-desktop group.
> You probably don't want gedit-code-assistance as part of the
> gnome-desktop group because it pulls few things most desktop users
> won't need.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik the current status of things is
> that if you add it to gnome-desktop, people will get the package in
> updates, and I don't think it's optimal for this case.
>

> Also, regarding dependencies of gnome-code-assistance (the backend of
> the gedit plugin), if anyone doesn't like ruby being pulled in, I
> could split the various language backends to subpackages,
> but I really rather not do it because the way gnome-code-assistance is
> built means removing ruby will always remove CSS support, and CSS is
> very useful for many people.

When we've worked on changes in the past, the goal has always been to
minimize the manual 'kickstart hackery', and get things fixed up in
comps. Sticking with comps has the advantage that all the tools that
know how to deal with comps groups (eg yum/dnf) will be available.

If adding gedit-code-assistance and its dependencies to the
'gnome-desktop' group is inappropriate, we could simply add a new comps
group and call it, say, 'workstation'.

Yet another way to go here could be to instead offer 'gedit' as an
option in devassistant. It already has a checkbox that says 'Configure
vim editor for various programming languages'. A 'Configure gedit for
various programming languages' could easily fit there too.