Re: Fedora.next: Scope of the Workstation product

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Workstation product is described as a "platform for development of
> server side and client applications".  However, the technical specification
> does not include any development tools (except a Python stack and the GNOME
> Javascript stack, but those are incidental dependencies).

The package list in the Tech spec is stale.  I've sent an updated
package set to this list and I plan on getting the kickstarts into
spins-kickstart soon.

> Based on a review of what the other working groups are doing, it seems that
> we won't end up with any development tools at all in the inner circle of
> Fedora.next.

Based on review of a stale, in progress list.

> I understand that all products will be delivered with the Everything
> repositories enabled, so GCC, autoconf, cmake, Boost, OpenJDK, Eclipse, and
> so on will all be available.  But I had hoped for a curated subset of
> packages which could receive additional attention (and eventually be held to
> higher standards).
>
> How can we avoid having a developer workstation that does not include the
> full range of development tools?

Send patches to the kickstart, or suggestions for additions, to this
list?  It's really not complicated.

josh