Re: Default font configuration doesn't look right on Fedora...

Matthias Clasen píše v St 23. 04. 2014 v 14:35 -0400:
> Font rendering is a very subjective topic, and one that people like to
> complain endlessly about. There's certainly no single 'correct'
> rendering, but instead a continuum depending on whether you put more
> emphasis on sharpness or shape or uniformity. And which style of
> rendering you prefer depends on your vision, personal preference and
> prior experience with rendering on other systems.
>
> I myself am perfectly fine with the way fonts appear out of the box on
> Fedora. Maybe I am just not very picky when it comes to fonts.
>
> Matthias

I don't think it's entirely a subjective topic. There are things that
objectively need improvement. I always used Ubuntu font and it's own
settings, but I got a new laptop last week and installed Fedora with all
the defaults. I was surprised that Cantarell font actually improved, but
overall I found font experience in Fedora very displeasing and ended up
tweaking it for the whole day.

What's definitely most annoying is that rendering differs radically even
within one app. The more apps adopt WebKit the more it's visible because
WebKit doesn't honor the same font configuration as GTK. It's frankly
terrible that e.g. in Evolution the UI font has medium hinting and the
font of emails has apparently slight hinting and sometimes you have
different settings within one email message (quoted text has medium
hinting, your reply has slight hinting). The same goes for Empathy where
you write a message in medium hinted font and when you hit Enter it pops
up in slightly hinted font.
Font rendering in Firefox is also very different from the rest of the
system.

So no matter if we go one way (font rendering similar to Windows and OS
X) or the other we should assure font rendering consistency across the
desktop, at least in pre-installed apps.
I hope that the whole Fedora Workstation initiative will improve this
since fonts are an important part of the user experience.

Jiri