Re: technical spec for the workstation up for review

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:26:29PM +0200, Thomas Woerner wrote:
> >Right, that wasn't the reason. The reasons are:
> >* the python implementation is a memory hog
> Is the use of about 20MB really a point in a workstation with apps?

Probably not. It's pretty awful in a high density cloud environment, though.
But you've taken this out of context -- the point was that there are reasons
to do this _other_ than desktop startup time, and if it helps with desktop
startup time, that's a bonus.

> >* we would like to have fewer (eventually zero) core components using
> >   interpretted languages because a) they're inherently bulky and b) they
> Will JavaScript support be removed from PolicyKit again to achieve this?

I hope so, yes. The package is already split so that this would be possible,
but currently kept as a dependency to ensure consistent behavior.

> Please let me know then we will stop evaluating the use of it.

>From the documentation given by PolicyKit upstream, the Javascript
functionality should never be used by operating systems or packaged
applications and is intended for local flexiblity only. So you should
probably stop that anyway.

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"