Re: technical spec for the workstation up for review

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 08:26:31AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > Thomas, what is the state of the C-based rewrite of firewalld? Does that
> > render this particular argument at least less important, if not moot?
> This decision should be based on the security and usability effects of
> the firewall. "My firewall starts a little slow and that makes me sad"
> is a reasonable argument; "my firewall starts a little slow so let's
> remove it" is not so much.

Right, that wasn't the reason. The reasons are:

* the python implementation is a memory hog

* we would like to have fewer (eventually zero) core components using
  interpretted languages because a) they're inherently bulky and b) they
  make life difficult when we have to deal with runtime compatibility for
  different consumers -- something we're not going to easily solve unless
  we go full SCL.

* startup time might be an issue if the program is eventually redesigned to
  run on demand (when a change in state is requested) rather than constantly

So it's my understanding that this is underway, and it might have the
_secondary_ advantage of making the conversation about initial boot time
less important.

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"