Re: Tech Spec, System Installer

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 04:23 -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:

> > 1. Remove Manual/Custom partitioning path entirely. The Tech Spec doesn't
> > specifically say only the default path should become minimalist.
>
> It is still early days for the tech spec so I think we all want to flesh out
> things a lot more and figure out the details, so any help with that is appreciated.
> I don't think removing the manual partitioning  is part of anyones plan, although
> maybe streamlining it a bit would be good, haven't looked at it in a while, but
> I am sure the partitioning tool exposes a lot of stuff currently that you are quite
> unlikely to want to do on a normal desktop/laptop. I got a laptop at home I need to
> reinstall, so I will investigate and take notes this weekend.

There's kind of a problem here in that any kind of 'streamlining' is
likely going to ultimately add *more* complexity and hence fragility
into the installer codebase, because we'll have two divergent paths -
'full fat' and 'streamlined' custom partitioning - used by different
products. It would be relatively simple to just disallow access to
custom partitioning entirely in a variant build - I'm not sure we'd
really want to do it, but it's at least simpler to implement and more
likely to actually result in improved robustness than trying to do a
'streamlined' version.

> > 2. Remove all partition scheme options from the Automatic/Guided path. Two
> > options isn't the minimum possible, no option is.
>
> I think the idea behind part 2 is to say that we don't need to offer features in
> the desktop installer for setting up enterprise style storage systems or hardware.

This is already fairly well hidden in the current design, at least to my
eye - but let us know what you think when you talke a look. It also
kinda depends what you mean by 'enterprise style', I guess, but there's
one fairly subtle button that lets you into the interface for
configuring iSCSI and multipath and so forth, and if you don't click it,
you're fine.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey