Re: [Proposal for vote] GNOME as default base of the Workstation Product

Am Freitag, den 14.02.2014, 08:44 -0500 schrieb Josh Boyer:
> I'm calling for a vote on the default DE used as a base for the
> Workstation Product.  The overall discussion seems to have played out,
> so let's get things settled.  As the subject says, I'm proposing we
> use GNOME as the default base of the product.

+1

> WG members have one week from today to vote or counter-propose.
> Missing votes after one week will be counted as abstains.

Frankly speaking I think this is not subject to discussion. KDE needs to
remain a release blocking desktop. Improving our workstation product
should not happen at the cost of KDE or any other desktop.

> PLEASE NOTE:  I believe the WG would really like to see KDE be a
> release blocking alternative DE under the premise that we can work
> together with the KDE team and get consensus on the technical aspects
> of what Workstation should provide.  However, I did not want to put
> two issues in the same vote before we've really had a chance to
> discuss those technical aspects, so the proposal is only for the
> default DE choice.  We will vote on alternative DEs at a later time.

For me, it's not so much about this or that desktop but about
cross-desktop interoperability, e.g. through sane packaging standards
that allow installing several desktops side by side without having them
interfere. This was my original motivation to become a member of this WG
and I am looking forward to the discussion.

Best regards,
Christoph