Re: Underlying DE for the Fedora Workstation product

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 20:14 -0500, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:27:41 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 12:08 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >> The GNOME we're trying to build has its own vision, and it's trying to
> >> become its own well-defined product: The number-one free software
> >> operating system.
> >
> >Not it's not. This means that they have a single dedicated desktop
> >experience and that the community is allowed to use those components but
> >there isn't a formal mechanism to standardize to a common core.  It also
> >excludes any potential requirements for a separate desktop environment
> >for commercial vendors. If you actually read my Proposal you would
> >realize that.
> >
> >I have worked out a compromise that works for GNOME 3, GNOME 2 and the
> >Gnome community projects.  It's called the GNOME Meta-Desktop.
>
> All your proposal does is formalize the current GTK desktop world mess
> into an official product that solves none of the problems.
>
> You can't say your proposal provides a "single dedicated desktop
> experience" while at the same time claiming to offer a GNOME 3 and
> GNOME 2 experience - those 2 products have fundamentally different
> design goals and experiences.
>
> Third party developers want 1 target to aim for, and whether is is the
> current mess of GNOME / Cinnamon / MATE (plus KDE) or your GNOME
> Meta-Desktop the problem is not solved because there is no 1 target.

Keep in mind it's a DRAFT and not a final copy yet, it has to be
refined.

The important part is here:

---
GNOME 2 would be managed by a select committee made up of
representatives sent directly from GNOME Foundation corporate sponsors.
This committee would also donate a certain percentage of their engineers
time to work on the GNOME projects with a focus on GNOME 2. This
committee would would draw up GNOME 2 product requirements, act in an
advisory capacity and have final say on official releases. GNOME 2 would
be tied to RHEL and it's release cycles but there would be more frequent
release channels available.
---

https://wiki.gnome.org/AlexGS/GnomeMetaDesktop

The corporate committee would basically control the product.  It would
be a diverse group of people.  This way GNOME 2 could be managed
correctly and shaped into a proper business desktop and workstation
desktop environment.

Just to let you know if you have comments or want to assist with getting
this realized there's a COMMENT's section on the bottom of the proposal
on the GNOME Wiki page.  Please use that or Google+ for general
matters.

I don't want to distract the Fedora Developer list any further, I've
caused enough of a ruckus.