Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product, GNOME 3 and the iPhone

On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 07:55 -0700, Pete Travis wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2014 7:23 AM, "Alexander GS" <alxgrtnstrngl@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 18:31 +0100, drago01 wrote:

> tailored

> interaction for
> > >
> > > Argument by repetition does not work. You stated that before and
> got a
> > > response that this is not the case and that you should come up
> with
> > > reasons where you got that from. You simply repeated your
> statement.
> > > This is pointless.

> tailored
> >
> > I wanted to address this question because I think it's crucial to
> > understand why GNOME 2 is the only suitable default choice for
> Fedora
> > Workstation.
> >
> > Let's revisit the original GNOME 3 (GNOME Shell) design document:
> >
> > Problem Definition:
> >
> > "The GNOME Project released version 2.0 of the GNOME Desktop in June
> > 2002. It was an important milestone. In the years since then, the
> > developer community has continually and incrementally improved the
> > experience while learning a great deal about what worked and what
> > didn't. The entire personal computing ecosystem has been changing
> too -
> > partly due to a number of new and disruptive technologies. While we
> > won't dwell on the particulars of those changes it is important to
> note
> > that there is a growing consensus in the GNOME developer community
> that
> > we needed to make a leap forward in order to fix many of the flaws
> in
> > our designs and to generally bring a lot more awesome into the user
> > experience."
> >

> https://people.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/design/GNOME_Shell-20091114.pdf
> >
> > The key phrases in the entire document:
> >
> > "The entire personal computing ecosystem has been changing too -
> partly
> > due to a number of new and disruptive technologies."
> >
> > - and -
> >
> > "we needed to make a leap forward in order to fix many of the flaws
> in
> > our designs."
> >
> > Mac OS X release back in 2001.
> >
> > GNOME 2 released in 2002.
> >
> > Apple released the iPhone back in 2007.
> >
> > This document was created back in 2009.
> >
> > The "new and disruptive technologies" were mobile devices such as
> the
> > iPhone. GNOME Shell itself was created as a reaction to the iPhone
> and
> > mobile form-factors.  Clearly the design has that in mind with the
> focus
> > on touch-screen interaction.
> >
> > The "flaws in our designs" refers to the traditional desktop
> workstation
> > designs found in GNOME 2 that they no longer felt could address the
> new
> [...]

There was no such decision or discussion.  We were discussing the
default desktop for the Fedora Workstation project.  It was my own
individual proposal that MATE is the default desktop.  I was discussing
details on how that could be achieved and one idea was to merge MATE
into GNOME.  This does not represent the view of either MATE, GNOME or
Fedora, these are my personal views.