Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 12:22 -0500, Alex GS wrote:
>> Gnome Shell is a feature/product/package focused on mobile interaction
>> for hybrids and touch enabled devices including tablets.
>
> GNOME (capitals please, same for MATE) is focused on desktop and laptop
> computers, including laptops with touchscreens. GNOME has to support
> touchscreens well because Windows has gone that route, and 90% of
> laptops ship with Windows.
>
> Tablets are a secondary concern because very, very few people are
> running GNOME on tablets. They're basically touchscreen laptops without
> keyboards, though, so I don't think they're much of a stretch.
>
> Typically I associate the word mobile with phones, and nobody runs GNOME
> on phones. A new startup, Endless Mobile, is trying to. I wish them
> well, but I've yet to see reason to believe that will work well. (Which
> is fine, since they're new.)
>
> Anyway, it sounds like you're spot-on part of the target audience for
> GNOME Classic. I'm sure the developers would be interested in feedback
> on why that environment doesn't currently meet your needs, and how it
> might be improved to do so.

Sorry. GNOME classic is out of the question.

It is less functional than MATE or Cinamon.

I really don't know anyone that enjoys using GNOME classic. No offense.

One of the main points of using MATE is all the backwards
compatibility that comes along with it.

As the person that brought MATE to the official Fedora repos I'm all
for having MATE be the official DE for the distribution. But let's be
realistic here. It's never going to happen.

As I said before, I think the best choice is just to give the user the option.

All of the DEs are practically interchangeable. GNOME3, MATE, Cinnamon
are practically just GTK+ Window/Session managers. They all do the
same things, some better at certain things than others.

This discussion is really pointless. While many good points have been
brought up by Alex GS and I applaud and thank him for them the only
real and BEST way for Fedora to move forward is to think about the
user first.

It is a well known fact that one DE does not fit all.

Once again, I reiterate that the only BEST way for Fedora to move
forward is just to give the end user the option. Stop tricking them
into using GNOME and advertise a few good options to them and move on.

We cannot continue to act like the only DE we care about is GNOME.
This is a losing strategy.

Dan