Re: Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Note what?  I'm confused as to what you're saying here, because you
say to note it and then say it's bad to note it because it sounds like
closed doors.

>> But of course we should review
>> the product plan over time to both see if it is working out and
>> achieving the goals we have set for it and to see if we should adjust
>> the overall target/goal for the product.
>>
>> So hopefully for Fedora marketing having something a bit more targeted
>> should hopefully make their job easier as there is a clearer story that
>> can be told to potential users. Ryan and Mo is currently working on
>> developing the branding for the 3 new products so hopefully we can tie
>> into that effort to help provide a baseline 'sales pitch' for the Fedora
>> marketing team.
>
> For marketing - aiming one group is definitely easier but it also creates
> barriers for the future. Once you starts marketing Workstation as developers
> system, it will create an entry barrier for people aka "I'm not developer,
> it's not a distro for me" and it'd pretty difficult to get rid of this
> stamp in the future. Same as now we are still fighting that Fedora is not
> for users but bleeding edge fans.
>
> Don't take this as I'm against the idea, I understand that with our limited
> resources it's better to aim on the less wider audience and make sure we
> can support it and provide the best experience. I'm just trying to say -
> do not limit it too much, it could be pretty hard to step out of the
> shadow of this decision :).

I think you're conflating the PRD with a marketing document.  It
isn't.  It's the document the WG uses to focus their development and
requirements.  It's, at least as far as I know, completely separate
from how things are marketed to end users.

If we need a separate PMD (product marketing document), then we can
work with Fedora Marketing to do that.

josh