Re: Default Services in the Fedora Workstation

On Wed, 2013-11-06 at 17:28 +0200, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Does the "Fedora Workstation" vision means we can disable (or even
> remove) all enterprise stuff (nfs, iscsi, and lots of other pointless
> services for desktops) by default in our product?
>

> Can we, for example, ask the Anacoda team to make dependencies on
> enterprise-class storage optional, thus enabling us to not ship it by
> default on the workstation product?

You will notice that the PRD does have a 'developer in large
organization' use case - and explicitly mentions enterprise accounts as
a requirement for that. I would expect that it also requires nfs
support, but you are right that we should be able to remove stuff like
lldp and other data center technologies.

In any case, a list of services is part of the definition of the
workstation product that we are supposed to come up with, so it is a
useful topic.

A somewhat related topic that was on my list of things to discuss in the
WG is the configuration of these services. A notable sore point here is
the firewall configuration - it has to work out of the box for the
services that are part of the workstation.