Re: Disable/remove "libsocialweb-core"

On 11/29/2011 04:50 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> rpm -e --nodeps
>
> (when in doubt, try the obvious thing.)

Perhaps your solution to solve all your problems is with "rpm -e
--nodeps $foo" then eat what breaks for breakfast  but rpm -e --nodeps
is not something I can recommend to novice end users not even as a
workaround around for this nor is this something would ever propose to them.

An equally drastic measure would be to "chmod 0
/usr/lib64/libsocialweb/services/*"  and ask them to remove/replace
empathy,evolution, gnome contacts etc.
with something else.

Arguable it's an bit of an hefty price to pay having people to stop
using application they have grown custom to use ( let alone just after
they are/have been growing custom to Gnome shell in general ) to ensure
their privacy because this was not design to be an extenstion/addon to
those gnome shell/applications in the first place or because of an lack
of an heavy off switch that disables the social networking feature
alltogether and ensures at the same time that application dont/cant
accidentally leak your data to some social networking site due to an bug
or some other issue.

If Gnome has reach that point that it no longer can ensure peoples
privacy in application it's ships with and an bug might "accidentally"
leak it's data silently to some online social networking site for others
to harvest arguable then they might just be better off switching to
something else and we to another default at the same time.

If such an proposal was up for Fedora's user base to vote upon I'm
pretty sure Gnome as an default desktop might not fair as well as one
might think.

Ofcourse I could be wrong and it would reassure it's position as the
dominating default amongst Fedora's user base and the only way to find
out would be to actually allowing user to cast a vote on a such proposal.

Personally I think it's just best left up to an browser to chase every
social networking site that pops up and exist out there instead of
trying to integrate and playing that game in the desktop itself.

Thanks
              JBG