Re: laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 20:08:30 +0200,
  Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 12:43 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:32:54 -0500,
> >   Charles Kerr <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I don't have much experience with pngout, but it claims to be able to
> > > shave an extra 14% off these images' sizes.  I tried it out on the
> > > four images in standard/ and got this result:
> >
> > While better lossless compression would be a good thing to be doing for
> > all of the artwork, I don't think that is going to help enough here.
> > Given the short amount of time, I don't think this approach (assuming it
> > was expanded to include a larger set of artwork) is going to be practical
> > as an immediate solution.
> Once, we used optipng for that, but the savings really aren't that much
> (depending on picture, about 10%) plus they're time-intensive.

But it should only be time intensive creating the image. It saves space
on every machine that they are installed on. 10% accross the board is
pretty good and you probably should be doing that. Not necessarily when you
are reviewing stuff, but once you start using them in packages you really
should be doing the better compression.