Re: Updates next steps

Am Donnerstag, den 22.04.2010, 07:47 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 11:27 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >
> > During the whole discussion about the update process we
> > learned that this is one of the main reasons why many people prefer
> > Fedora over other distributions.
>
> I think the one thing we learned is that Kevin can write more emails and
> shout louder than anybody else. I challenge you to find a single Fedora
> user who only uses Fedora because it can produce more untested updates
> than any other distribution.

Updates and testing are two completely different things. Please don't
mix problems that are not related. I agree with you that we need better
testing but I don't necessarily agree to the statement that we need less
updates.

I do know users *and* package maintainers, who use Fedora mainly because
they get new versions of a package in a timely manner instead of just
bugfixes. We have already lost some valuable contributors lately and I
don't want to see more people leave.

> > Sorry, but to me this attitude sounds arrogant. People "just doing
> > something" - especially GNOME people - is not how community works and
> > often is the source of a very unpleasant update experience.
>
> Sure, doing something works by gathering a rough consensus between the
> major parties and then start doing something. Waiting for the great
> world-spanning consensus of everybody is a recipe for endless flamewars
> and doing nothing.

Not sure if I agree to that. I agree you cannot make everybody happy but
if "small parties" includes the users/maintainers of KDE, Xfce and LXDE,
then I'd say we need to at least try to get them involved instead of
deciding for them.

> > Think of the recent hal update that broke every desktop but GNOME in
> > F13. It was not announced (at least not for F13) and it was pushed
> > after the beta freeze only for the GNOME people to finish their hal
> > removal feature. Is this your idea of just doing "great things"?
>
> I'm pretty sure we can find one or two broken update that you have
> pushed in the past as well. Do you really think we should sink to that
> level of discussion ?

I have no intentions to sink the level of discussion, but I'm optimistic
that you wont be able to find an update I did after beta freeze without
previous notice to the maintainers of packages I broke (if any).

If you are concerned about the level of discussion, please don't mix two
different issues like updates and QA.

Regards,
Christoph