Re: Updates next steps

Am Mittwoch, den 21.04.2010, 20:33 -0400 schrieb William Jon McCann:
> Hi,
>
> So, that's cool.  I take it back - let's not limit pointless updates -
> it is certainly a silly idea.  ;)

IF they are pointless, they should be limited to 0. If they are just
optional, there are still users who want the latest and the greatest
versions. During the whole discussion about the update process we
learned that this is one of the main reasons why many people prefer
Fedora over other distributions. If this is pointless, I'm afraid we are
a pointless distro. ;)

> Jokes aside, this is what Jesse and ajax told me on IRC that we (the
> project) had decided.  So I was just repeating it here.

AFAIR "the project" has never decided anything like this. I am not
saying that I'm against this idea, I'm just a little surprised.

> Most of the time when I say "we" on this list I mean the people who
> are interested in designing and defining the user experience of this
> desktop thing.

You mean this GNOME desktop thing, right? Please stop using the word
"desktop" as a synonym for "GNOME".

As this topic not only affects the (GNOME) desktop bug the whole
distribution, I really think that it should not be discussed on the
desktop list.

> Some of the time I refer to people who have some
> expertise or opinions I respect in the area of experience design.
> Other times I mean "I".  Which one I mean will depend on the
> situation.  If that is too confusing then just assume I mean "I",
> think carefully about the matter, and challenge me on it in a
> constructive way.  (where constructive means "how you'd do it if you
> had to and your reputation depended on it").
>
> We can continue to have discussions about having discussions about
> making great things or we can just make great things.  Believe it or
> not given the opportunity and the will - I know we can.  But dithering
> is death.
>
> It is pretty clear that we want to make the user experience around
> updates better for our users - now we need to do it.  There will be
> people who don't agree (at least until we demonstrate it is better by
> actually doing it) but we need to do it anyway.

Sorry, but to me this attitude sounds arrogant. People "just doing
something" - especially GNOME people - is not how community works and
often is the source of a very unpleasant update experience.

Think of the recent hal update that broke every desktop but GNOME in
F13. It was not announced (at least not for F13) and it was pushed after
the beta freeze only for the GNOME people to finish their hal removal
feature. Is this your idea of just doing "great things"?

What is great for GNOME or for you as a maintainer is not necessarily
great for others. This is why there needs to be a discussion instead of
"just doing it".

Regards,
Christoph