Re: Fedora 13 Schedule

On Nov 25, 2009, at 13:45, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 13:09 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
On 11/25/2009 05:58 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:
On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 15:57 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:

The basic structure of Fedora 13 schedule has been set and will soon go to FESCo for final approval. Once that happens I will build proposed schedules for: Documentation, Translation, Design, Marketing, and Websites.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/Schedule
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13/f-13-releng-tasks.html

If you have constructive feedback for altering or enhancing the
schedule, now is the time to give it. If it would be helpful to create a public Desktop specific schedule I'd be glad to help with that as well.

I don't think I have much constructive feedback, other than that the
development phase seems very short, with holidays and whatnot.

I was just looking at that as well, and have came up with 5 months of
development/testing (including from date F12 was released) for the
cycle? Just curious, isn't that kind of short? And as stated above, not even realy 5 months, since all the major holidays are included in
this cycle.

Fedora does not usually factor in holidays. I've attempted to include them in previous schedule drafts, but they were dismissed by others as
not being relevant to Fedora since we don't have official work days,
office hours, etc..  Granted if a serious freeze or release date
occurred during a major holiday period I'm sure they would reconsider,
but our release dates are such that they don't.

I've seen plenty of earlier discussion where rel-eng was carefully
trying to triangulate the release date around thanksgiving or easter.
It seems somewhat unfair to say that rel-eng get to take holidays, but
developers are expected to work straight through... :-)

That's not it at all. We try to avoid any deadline that would fall on or near a major holiday. That's more for the developers than releng.

The flip side of this is Jesse's mention in another post about the
branch for Fedora 13 being open before the end of Fedora 12 and the thus development being longer than five months. I'm not sure how this works out in reality for development--if they can really take advantage of the
early opening of the next release or if 95% of their energy remains
focused on the release at hand.

If we want to get away from the 'just a feature dump' and 'just a beta'
monikers, we'll have to face the fact that it does not work out in
practise, at some point.