Re: Dropping Gimp from the live cd

On 08/05/2009 05:18 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

I could substitute quite a lot of random applications for "Gimp" above
and that argument would be the same -- which probably means it's not a
very strong one.  The Desktop Live CD has sufficient applications for
someone to browse the web; retrieve, read, and send email; create
business documents; and view and organize media.  And it has support
for searching and later installing additional software.

I also have on my netbook something which has grow-up from a Desktop spin (with a ton of additional yummed stuff) but I see us using promoting the CD to a) users familiar with Live CDs from another distros, who expect a certain functionality OOTB and b) people new to Linux, not knowledgeable about the inner working of the distro and supposed to see Linux is better.

If those people are not the target of the spin, then perfectly fine. Only it must not be the recommended download or the disc we give away at events.

I would argue a spin intended to be a showcase must have *more* applications installed by default but I understand the space limitations (however, 1 GB USB sticks may be enough).