Re: Dropping Gimp from the live cd

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Matthias Clasen wrote:

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 10:13 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

If space is really that bad then perhaps it is time to go to a DVD,
but rather than use the full DVD create an artificial size limit to
minimize download time.

We can't go to a DVD w/o a lot of problems. CDs are much cheaper to make
up and output. This discussion has been had A LOT - going to a DVD as the
base live image is not going to happen yet.

I am going to seriously push for targetting a 1GB usb stick for F13.
Continuing to squeeze ever-shrinking amounts of useful content onto a CD
is a dead-end. Localized spins and lang-packs could delay the
inevitable, but rpm seems unable to give us a working lang-pack
solution...

a 1gb usb stick seems not-unreasonable. Jumping to a DVD seems like a larger leap, to me.

-sv