Re: few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Jesse Keating escribió:
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 12:02 -0600, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
but being as /sbin paths are meant for administrative tasks, I actually do see having them as part of a regular user's PATH a potential security risk.

That's completely bogus.  A "hidden path" offers 0 security.  If you
don't want your users running them, set the permissions on the binary,
or better yet, have the binary check the EUID of the caller.  If
non-root, display that the command is for root users, but also allow the
user to get --help and other usage or informational output from the
command.  Just don't allow non-root users to apply anything.  There
really is no reason I can think of to hide this crap in a different
directory.  It just adds needless complication and confusion.

Sarcastic disclaimer.

Why not install all binaries into /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and be done with it, then? Why EVEN have another path, anyway? Better yet, why don't we follow Ubuntu and make sudo the default, make regular users have admin rights! Why do we even need root? What's that? Geeze, I mean why even keep an ancient file system layout?