Re: f8 desktop livecd

Jeremy Katz wrote:

Feedback from non-US/non-European based locales is that CD media is
still very important.  The fact that the "Fedora spin" is DVD only gets
a reasonable amount of flak, but it tends to be deflected with "go use
the live CD" :)

That doesn't always work. We have got several dozen people asking about this despite the presence of installable live images.

1) There are people who want access to a large number of packages but don't have a high bandwidth connection or DVD drive. Lack of full media support in yum and friends makes it hard too. Integrating Jidgo into the release process might be useful for them. Also Opyum.

2) On x86_64 you have to use special CD media or usually DVD but you don't get all the packages you could fill in a DVD. If you want to continue insisting on multi-lib by default then a better solution might be to cut down on the x86 image size so that the x86_64 image still fits on a CD.

3) We haven't yet worked out a good upgrade solution for those who have installed from a live image. If you get the anaconda based semi live upgrade solution before Fedora 8 release, we should be ok.

Rahul