Re: f8 desktop livecd

Colin Walters wrote:

Maybe this means it's a spin.  As Fedora seems to be going in the
direction of making it easy for people to derive from Fedora, we could
start to think in those terms.

Right, the Fedora KDE live images are the Fedora KDE spin and it is messaged as such. Since we do multilib the x86_64 images happen to be more than CD size which I think we should avoid but that's another topic.

Setting aside what to call it - I think the goal is to make a
downloadable image that can be used as a start for:

1) Personal laptop internet terminal
2) Web developer workstation
3) Locked-down/managed lab terminal

Now, I think that 2) is basically a larger set of packages (wireshark,
eclipse, icedtea, ruby, etc.) on top of 1).  We should make it extremely
easy to turn 1) into 2), because honestly I think that's where a lot of
Fedora market share currently lies.
3) is interesting but those people can use the tools to make exactly
what they want.

I think 1) is provided by the Fedora live images or alteast close to it. There has been some discussions from people who have installed from the live images but want the same setup as the default selection in the DVD and by that they probably want to do 2).

I am not sure how we are going to do 3) well. There is Sabayon and Pessulus in GNOME and Kiosk in KDE but they don't talk to each other and isn't really system wide. Some folks have been asking for similar software that they can use on internet cafe's. Atleast here some cafe's are migrating to Linux/Fedora because Microsoft has started enforcing their licensing and some businesses simple cannot afford the cost. That is a sort of a niche market that is growing.

Rahul