Re: Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Dotan Cohen wrote:

Correct. Ubuntu and XP (I can't talk for Vista), however, make an
effort to inform the user how to set up the system to use the formats
with the OS. Ubuntu goes so far as to ask "would you like me to
install mp3 support?" right inside Amarok. Click Yes, and it goes and
fetches the codec, installs it, and plays the file in under 45 seconds
(I timed it the second time I did it). I understand that Fedora cannot
legally do this.

We *can* legally do this. There are atleast two ways.

1) Include proprietary software by default which we don't want to do but not for legal reasons.

2) Optionally provide them a way to install software like how Firefox installs flash plugin. The MP3 codec from Fluendo has a patent license and is under the MIT X11 license and available for free for example.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureCodecBuddy

 Which is why I say don't push Fedora to the general
user. IE, don't create a LiveCD.

You equate Live CD with a very specific use case while there are many others you have not considered at all.

There was a lot of talk about what can be a derived distro and still
keep the Fedora name, one of the ideas was that it have to be a subset
of Core + Extras, but I don't remember the conclusion.

I remember that. I also don't remember the conclusion (I don't think
there was one) but it's irrelevant to this thread.

We did have a conclusion. If you include any combination of official Fedora packages and want to have to do a official release talk to Fedora Project Board. Unofficial releases can be done by anyone. The fact tools like Pungi and live cd tools are part of Fedora and allow anyone to create Fedora variants easily is a very relevant part of this discussion.

Rahul