Re: Professionalism

Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

tor, 11.11.2004 kl. 16.08 skrev seth vidal:

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 14:58 +0000, chapmanccc@xxxxxxxx wrote:

To the developers,

The Linux operating system is maturing and we all hope that it will be
a major contender in the home and business markets.  As it approaches
this goal, the customer base changes.  Linux is no longer the "geek
OS" it once was.  Where once the predominant profile of a Linux user
was a young male, you now find fathers and husbands (I am both), women
(I am married to one) and children (I have three).  Linux is my main
OS at home and my wife and oldest child also use it.

With this evolution, a level of professionalism must also take place.
Being that the Fedora project is one of the leading consumer Linux
distributions, I would hope the developers would want to 'lead the
pack' in this area.

This brings me to my point.  I was rather disappointed with the
content in the "WebCollage" and "Barcode" screensavers.  These
screensavers have since been manually removed from my system, but I
would have preferred them not to be installed by default.  When I
install Mac OS or Windows, garbage like this is not included.  Why?
Because the developers strive to build a professional product.  Yes, I
can install items like this with Mac OS or Windows, but I would need
to download or purchase them after installing the OS.

Developers, please be considerate when creating the Fedora
distributions and let's strive to make Linux as professional as
possible.

I agree, We should have more professional behavior. And since most
professionals are adults and know that world is filled with all sorts of
things that _you_ may not like but that others may, I think we should
respect the differences between people and let adults choose what
behavior of their screensavers they want. Therefore, I recommend
screensaver preferences! In EVERY DESKTOP! The ability to choose a
screensaver must be included in the distribution to put a stop to this
anti-professional degradation.

oh.. wait.. they're already there.

hmm.

-sv

Yes they are. But imagine removing those on every damn user profile in... lets say a school.

What really should be done, is split the screensaverpackage in three
rpms (at least) - "xscreensaver-safe", "xcsreensaver-gl", and
"xscreensaver-others". At least the two first should be installed by
default. The reason to split it, is that the gl package can then be
removed safely from systems where it is not wanted. Simply beckause they
suck CPU, and on non-hw-3d deployments, you migth not want them.

This is the most constructive suggestion I've seen on the list so far in response to this issue, and so I second it.. I am however, somwhat curious as to what offensive words popped-up in Barcode.

Peace

--

Fedora-desktop-list@xxxxxxxxxx