Re: proposal to remove the "Start Here" icon

K. Spearel wrote:

Why does it seem that developers/people in charge are so eager to remove
things from the desktop?  Should the desktop not be the users primary
way of accessing the system?  Why shouldn't the desktop present icons so
a simple point and click will bring up 90% of all the things a user
typically does in a day's work?  Does anyone agree that perhaps the
reason for the lack of acceptance of the Linux desktop is what I see as
a bias on the part of "those in charge" away from using truly graphical
methods and a reliance on the keyboard to do the heavy lifting?  Isn't a
point and click on a desktop icon even more efficient than launching
from a menu?  Shouldn't the desktop be easily configurable as the
ultimate "Favorites Menu"?

It seems to me that more icons on the desktop, and a drawer of desktop contents (for those that don't see their desktop often) would be a great default setup...